Skip to main content

The Positive Game

This was a week. Coming down from writing narratives for each of the 90 Pathfinders in my classes and having conferences for each of the kids and their families in Advisory, I was hoping for some light days of playful learning. Alas. We had some hard meetings, there was some crazy weather and students were finding it hard to focus after so many half days and a long weekend off.

On Wednesday, I was sitting at a table with some gents from my Advisory. We challenged one of them to say only positive things about any topic we presented for five whole minutes. It was hard, but in the end, Taaj prevailed. 

The next day, students wanted to play the "Positive Game" on a broader scale. The rules are simple. A person brings up a topic that some might have negative feelings about and the group must find the silver lining. All topics are fair game, except other humans. 

A wide range of topics were introduced - some silly and some serious - and kids did a great job finding positive responses.
  • A broken bone? You get to use the elevator.
  • Sundays? You can look forward to seeing your friends at school the next day.
  • Being sick? People take care of you and you get a lot of attention.
  • School? You can learn new things and interact with cool people.
  • Farting? You are healthier.
  • Death of a relative? The family can get together again.
  • A long commute home in the snow? You have a good story to tell the next day.
It was interesting to see the issues that were on kids' minds and to hear the ways they could find to remain positive the face of challenges. I was also impressed with the way they took the topics that others brought up seriously. They listened and problem solved in a way that an Advisory ought.

For my part, I began thinking about the things I had negative feelings towards. How might I change my thinking around those?
  • A 5th grader asks a whole lot of questions - I mean a LOT? He is using inquiry, seeking to understand and engaging with ideas.
  • I have to park very far from school this year? I get all my steps in and usually get to walk to and from school with a fun group of students.
  • My wrist still hurts from writing all the narratives? It was lovely to have a chance to reflect on each kid in my classes and communicate to them the things they do well. The world needs more opportunities to do that.
  • I'm behind in grading for the 2nd quarter already? It gives kids a second chance to finish something and maybe improve both their understanding and their score.
  • Some kids are struggling with self-regulation? It gives me a chance to spend more time with them helping to process feelings and develop strategies.
  • Some kids are struggling with content? It forces me to be precise with my words, with instruction and with the practice I ask them to do. 
Admittedly, the Positive Game is a little corny. It feels like that scene in Pollyanna, when Pollyanna is temporarily paralyzed, but optimism saves the day. I am not crazy enough to think that positivity can change everything about a situation, but what it does change is our outlook - and that is no small thing. Believing that there is something worthwhile in facing challenges and finding the small things for which to be grateful can make a huge difference for ourselves and for the those around us.

Comments