Skip to main content

Off you go..


 One of my favorite parts of Little Women is when Meg is packing for her trip to visit friends. Marmee and all of the March sisters help. They discuss the attributes and purpose of each item so that Meg will know exactly what to wear and when. They also share their own things - new stockings, for example - so that Meg will have what she needs for her journey.

As a kid, I didn't travel without my family very often, but in my college years, I noticed that I was particularly bad at packing for myself. I remember going the Poconos without a bathing suit and to Chicago in March without gloves (although this was because my travel companion said it would be "warm"). 

As a young person, these feel harder. You're broke, for starters, so getting there and having to buy things feels hard. And you're more certain that people are judging you for what you wear/have or don't. Yes, these experiences make you stronger and more knowledgeable next time. But they also make you too hot without a bathing suit and too cold without gloves.

Yesterday, I took my youngest back to this junior year of college. He needed some stuff - a proper piece of luggage, a warm overcoat and some groceries. It was fun to shop for these things with him. Unlike me as a college student, he has a better handle on what he needs. 

But there was something in the camaraderie of the packing that hearkened back to the March family experience. We set up some organized piles to make sure there were enough socks and shirts, we visited many stores finding the coat, we choose the right groceries and carefully loaded the car.

Like Mrs. March, I will likely get to hear some of the stories of this "trip" - the joyful ones and the harder ones - but there will be many pieces of this semester to which I am not privy. This is how it should be. But it's awfully nice to know that for the next few days, at least, folks have what they need to make things work on their own.

This week in school, I was frequently reminded of how much kids carry with them to help them do the important work of learning. I saw some Legos guys and a few Bey Blades, some new colored pencils, a special necklace, a lucky hat.. I helped a kid look for the lost purple and pink gloves (sniff) and I reunited another kid with their flute. The things we pack really do help us be able to do the work ahead with confidence.

So off you go, kids. Go be great, silly, kind, productive, joyful and ready - knowing you have packed all the stuff you need. 

Comments