Skip to main content

Positive Case 39529

 That's me. Now you know. 

Five days in and I still don't feel great. Who are these people lucky enough to get COVID for 48 hours? Sitting on my sofa or on my patio for a bunch of days is not as blissful as I had imagined - especially since I've felt like crap for much of that time.

Julie Andrews would encourage me to list my favorite things in a moment like this. I promise to do that, but only after I list some things that really chap my ass about having COVID.

Jammies should have pockets. Yesterday was the first time I wore actual pants in several days. This decision was motivated by a desire to at least seem like a productive member of society as well as a desire to stop losing my Chapstick. Pockets are easy to make and all jammies should have them.

Chris Pine is an unconvincing Robert the Bruce. Captain Kirk, sure. Scottish patriot, not so much.

Trying to get kids at school to finish a project remotely is hard. It was one thing when we were all remote, but with just me at home, it is much harder to know what questions kids have and how to help them. 

Zoom school is lame. I had to participate in summer school training via Zoom and it will not surprise you to know that I did not pay attention.

Moaning actually does not make you feel better. I always assumed that it did. I guess I was wrong.

There aren't enough subs. My colleagues at school are working way too hard to fill in for me.

Cough syrup is a terrible thing. Sure, it helps you stop coughing, but at the expense of your reason and dignity.

Mornings are when I feel the worst. Rude, right? Mornings are my favorite time of day and not feel well or to sleep through them is annoying. Especially on these beautiful June mornings where everything is green and fresh.

"When the dogs bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad... I simply remember my favorite things..." Ok, I'll try.

My patio is a great place to sit. Ask my cat -he's out there all the time. I was glad I had the time two years ago when we were all home all the time to make it a haven of plants and shade and comfort. Even on the hotter days, I have been out here a lot.

Kids at school have been great. Mediocre projects aside, they have sent texts and emails. "When are you coming back?" "I watered the plants!" And my personal favorite "Another teacher closed your blinds. I know you hate that, so I wrote a note on the board explaining to the next teacher who fills in for you why we never do that." Every teacher has felt less than her best this year, but it's nice to know that in spite of everything, what we do matters to kids.

My team is amazing. I know I have said this before, but the people who support me in the world can always be relied upon to provide meals, laughter, help and fun. I've lost count of the number of people who have offered something - and the simple act of offering help did more for my spirit than I can express.

I identify as a productive member of society. I have missed the feeling of making a contribution to the world outside of my strong financial support for Kleenex and JuicyJuice. Today will be Day 2 of Pants and I am optimistic. But I also hope to hold on to this feeling of vulnerability and reliance those around me as a reminder of how much we need one another to get by.

Comments