Skip to main content

Set an Intention

I feel pretty stupid when someone else asks me to set one, but find that on my daily morning walk, I set a few intentions as I go. Maybe it's still flaky to do it for yourself, but to me it feels less weird.

It seems fitting on the first day of the new year to set a few, so here goes:

  • Honor your heart. I had a a TIA in August and while I no longer need to be under the care of a cardiologist, I have a new respect for my heart. I sleep more and eat less cheese. But I also thank people who touch my heart with their actions or words. In the new year, I hope to be prompt and profuse with my gratitude. I am fortunate to have students, colleagues, children and family who take consistent care with my heart.
  • Take care with others. Whether or not you've had a TIA, everyone's heart needs care. Tell people when they are great, tell them when they make a difference and tell them what you notice about their skills. We all need to hear those things.
  • Notice. Notice what works and what doesn't, what makes you feel good and what elevates your heart rate and especially what makes others happy. Do those things and skip the rest.
This list is admittedly short and probably overly simple. And it is still my intention for 2021. What's yours?

Comments

  1. Write. Read. Dad. Learn. Teach. Maybe not in that order. Maybe sometimes (always) simultaneously. Oh, I need you address. I know, I can message you for it, but typing it here will hang that particular jacket on a hook in my memory.

    I am so genuinely thankful you are in the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment